Job description – Chef
South of France in the Vence district close to Nice, OR Mallorca in the Pollença area in the north of the island.
From early-mid May until end of September 2020.
Dependent on experience, but highly competitive. Package includes accommodation, food and drinks, and transport (from London) to and from the destination. Additional performance-based bonus will also be awarded at the end of the season.
No age restriction but applicants under 24 years are highly unlikely to have sufficient experience.
The Chef works alongside the Villa Manager and Villa Assistant to manage his/her assigned villa on a day to day basis, ensuring that the guests’ needs are met at all times while maintaining the Company’s standards. The chef’s primary responsibility is for the provision of exceptional quality food and drinks.
We truly aim to deliver the best food in the industry, and we are serious about our food and have very high standards!
Take a look at some photos (snaps – not professional!) from our winter company, Purple Ski, to give you an idea of what we do / look for.
Working essentially as a private chef, you need to tailor your food to meet your customers’ needs and wishes, which can be challenging, but you also have immense freedom to work on your own dishes, show your creativity and flair.
The hours are long, the job is physically and emotionally demanding and you need to be good at working as part of a team. You must have extremely high work standards, be customer-focused, self motivated, take pride in your work at all times and be conscientious. You are responsible for shopping for the villa supplies with assistance in most cases and managing within a budget.
Applicants should hold a recognised cooking qualification and MUST demonstrate at least 4 years’ experience in the professional kitchens of restaurants of 2 AA rosette standard or similar, having held chef de partie or more senior positions.
Previous villa or chalet work is not required and while spoken French/Spanish is not necessary, it can be an advantage.
Good communication and team working skills are essential.
It is also essential that you have a full UK Driver’s Licence.
- Contacts guests (party leaders) by telephone before their arrival to introduce yourself and confirm/determine/discuss any special dietary and other special requirements
- Helps make birthdays and anniversaries special
- On changeover days, helps to welcome guests
- Is available to answer any questions, or resolve any problems that the guests may have, always aiming to do whatever they reasonably can to ensure that guests have the best possible holiday. To enable this, is knowledgeable about the area, its facilities and attractions, the Purple Summer website and the Staff Manual.
- Provides exceptional quality breakfast, lunches, pre-dinner canapés (as required) and dinner with appropriate wine and drinks, 6 days per week or as the booking suggests. Caters for any special diets as required (e.g., vegetarian, gluten free etc.)
- Cooks for self and all other staff working in / supporting the villa
- Ensures that excellent standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained in/around the villa at all times:
- Cleans kitchen and kitchen equipment, leaving all areas clear and spotless after each service and before leaving the villa. Weekly (usually on changeover day) performs a thorough clean of these areas, including oven, fridges and freezer, microwaves etc.
- On changeover day, in addition to the above, does a weekly food shop and assists the villa team in a smooth transition between guests
- Manages and cleans all food storage areas within the villa
- Helps Villa Manager/Assistant clear away after mealtimes and clean up
- In conjunction with the rest of the villa team, sets up and closes down the villa at the start and end of the season
- Maintains a record of all lunch and dinner menus and submits these as required
- Takes the lead in the management of stocks of all items/requirements for the villa: and does the shopping in accordance with the food budget. Controls the variable villa costs to ensure they’re kept within budgeted levels
- Ensures that fridge and freezer temperatures are maintained at a safe level for the storage and preservation of food; reports any issues immediately
- Reports any maintenance/repair issues promptly and helps in resolution as much as possible
- Helps ensure that guests settle bills for any extras incurred during the holiday
- Encourages guests to complete the visitors’ book